Our new music for 2019 became available last Wednesday! At the end of this post, you can browse the catalog to see all the pieces. In the meantime, here are some of the highlights as you start choosing your church’s new music for the coming year.
CPH 150 Commissioned Pieces
In September 2018, CPH kicked off its 150th year of providing churches with Lutheran music, books, educational materials, and church supplies. In honor of this occasion, we commissioned several new works. We chose these tunes and texts to highlight our thankfulness to God for the salvation He gives us through His Son and for using us to further the Great Commission. We hope your church enjoys these pieces for the same reasons.
- “Herald of Good News” by Jeffrey Blersch (two-part choir and organ)
- “Go Ye Therefore, and Teach All Nations” by Carl F. Schalk (SATB a cappella)
- “For Faith, We Praise You, Lord” by Stephen P. Starke and Kevin Hildebrand (SATB, congregation, organ, and trumpet)
- Festival Partita on “Now Thank We All Our God” by John A. Behnke (organ)
Lutheran Service Book: Companion to the Hymns
This two-volume collection will be the definitive resource on the hymns in Lutheran Service Book. With a decade of groundbreaking research behind it, the collection sets a new standard for the research and writing of all hymns. The historical backgrounds, theological discussions, usage advice, essays, biographies, and details on original sources make the collection a must-have for any lover of church music.
Volume 1 will provide the following for each hymn:
- Background on the text and tune
- Theological and scriptural discussion
- Practical advice for selecting and performing
- Exhaustive, authoritative historical details of original sources
Volume 2 will include these elements:
- Biographies for all hymn authors and composers
- Twenty essays providing a survey of hymnody
- Extensive indexes and appendixes
The collection will become available this fall, so keep an eye out for it!
Piano Prelude Series
When we finished the much-loved Hymn Prelude Library for organ, we recognized a need for the same resource for pianists. So we started working on Piano Prelude Series, which is a set of originally written piano pieces for all the hymn tunes in LSB. Just like Hymn Prelude Library, the complete set will include twelve volumes organized alphabetically by hymn tune.
Downloadable Instrument Packs
To make it easier for music directors to adapt LSB hymns for whatever instruments their musicians play, we released downloadable instrument packs for collections of hymns. Editions are available for Advent, Christmas, and Epiphany; Lent and Easter; and general use. Each pack contains twenty-five hymns.
PDFs are included for woodwinds, brass, and strings:
- C High Treble (Flute, Oboe, Violin)
- C Treble (Flute, Oboe, Violin)
- C Alto Clef (Viola)
- C Bass (Bassoon, Cello, Double Bass, Trombone, Tuba)
- B-flat High (Soprano and Tenor Saxophone)
- B-flat Low (Clarinet, Trumpet)
- E-flat (Alto and Baritone Saxophone)
- F (Horn)
Just print off the parts you need for each hymn. Because the parts match LSB harmonies, any instrument can play along with the organ or piano accompaniment.
We hope you enjoy our 2019 music and that you find plenty of pieces your church’s musicians and congregation will love!
Browse the 2019 music catalog to see all our new pieces.